Penn Village – Penn House – Winchmore Hill – Coleshill – outskirts of Chalfont St Giles – Ongar Hill Farm – Penn Bottom to Penn
OS Map Sheet Sheet 125,000 OS Explorer Series Sheet 172 – Chiltern Hills East
Shorter walks of 3.25 (finishing in Coleshill) and 5 miles (finishing in Chalfont St Giles) are available for those not wishing to walk the full distance – contact Walk Leader for details.
Getting there from Aylesbury – (Approx 18.6 miles): Take A41 followed by A413 signed to Amersham & follow for approx. 14miles. Take A404 onto Whielden Lane and onto Penn Street and Penn Village. Park near the pond or Red Lion PH Postcode HP10 8L.
Getting There from Oxford : (Approx 39.3 miles): Take A40 for 8.5 miles from Oxford to M40 at Junction 8. Follow M40 Southbound to Junction 2. Follow A355 direction of Amersham via Penn Village. Park near the pond or Red Lion PH Postcode HP10 8LF.
Download PDF RAVE Walk 12th July 2020 – Penn & Coleshill Circular
Ridgeway and Vale Expeditions Walkers’ Code
- Walks will normally take place on the second Sunday in the month. In some months, where there is an overriding event, the day may be changed.
- It helps the Organiser to know who is intending to turn up. Please make contact beforehand.
- Grades of Walk are – Leisurely, Moderate, and Strenuous. If you are new to the group and to walking, start with a walk graded “Leisurely”, and build up.
- Walkers are reminded that they attend walks at their own risk and are responsible for their own safety. Make sure you bring the appropriate gear for the conditions and adequate food and drink. Also make sure you have your medication and blood sugar meter handy. Especially on long walks, carry emergency provisions.
- A First Aid kit and additional glucose will be carried by an experienced member of the group. Please check your blood sugar at intervals on a walk.
- Follow the Country Code. Respect, protect and enjoy the countryside. Take home your rubbish and bury any human waste.
- Walks Leaders are responsible for keeping the group together and path finding. Please do not go ahead of the Leader. Always inform the Leader or back marker if you wish to leave the walk, however briefly. Always inform the Leader if you are feeling hypoglaecemic or if you believe another member of the group’s blood sugar is low.
- On public roads, take great care to walk in single file, facing oncoming traffic unless advised to do otherwise by the Leader.
- Dogs will be allowed on walks at the discretion of the Leader. Please keep them on leads when there is stock about or on roads.
- Remove or cover up muddy boots when entering a pub or tearoom. Do not consume your own food or drink on the premises, including the garden without permission. (If you enter a pub to use the toilet, buy a drink.)